Tuesday, July 10, 2012

for my mom... whom I love and miss everyday.

AVON WALK FOR BREAST CANCER- ROCKY MOUNTAINS JUNE 2012


In January of this year I saw a post on facebook from my friend at church about the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Rocky Mountains. It is a two day event where you walk 39.2 miles from Keystone to Breck in 2 days... She was asking for someone to do it with her. SO during this time I had been dealing with some personal issues (more on that later) and decided that this would be a great distractor. So I signed up and committed to raising $1,800 and preparing to walk 40 miles in 2 days.... WAS I CRAZY?!?!? Yes, but I would do it all over again... I was the most painful, tiring, emotional, wonderful experience that I've had! First of all I would recommend a competition/ sporting event for anyone who wants to get into shape.. You have to train or literally you will fall over dead. Literally. I thought people were crazy training 4-8 months in advance for competition sports, but after completing one now I realize that it is most necessary.










I have to be honest. When I started this I really had no connection with breast cancer or the devastating effects on individuals and their families. I have one aunt on my Mom's side who was diagnosed with BC, but she survived and is cancer free. If you know me, you know that I'm stupid emotional (I cry during the last scene of 'The Little Mermaid') so I was guessing that it would be hard, but seeing the survivors, hearing stories and seeing the tears stream down my fellow walkers faces as they remembered their mothers, sisters, grandparents who are no longer with them nearly broke my heart. It saddened me to think of the many lives lost to this disease, and gives me a great sense of appreciation for my health... One particular sign affected me more than others, and it stated 'For my Mom, who I love with all my heart and miss EVERYDAY'. Honestly tears began to form in my eyes before I even finished reading it and when I approached her to give my condolences, she said she doesn't know what it says and can't bear to read it until she's done with the walk...


Not only was this weekend memorable because of the walkers, but mostly for my teammate Sarah. We had been friends from Church and I had watched her boys for a number of months, but we really didn't know intimate details about each other.... Let me tell you something.... you want to create a bond with someone... Walk 40 miles and literally be connected at the hip for 3 days! I came into this thinking that we would at least be great motivators for each other, but instead created such a wonderful bond with this woman. I couldn't have chosen a better person to do this with and praise God that he placed us together. We shared our pasts, our fears, our hurts, our hopes and dreams and in doing that created an everlasting friendship! We complained together, cried together, Laughed A LOT, and all around I had an amazing time!


We were feeling pretty confident  here, but if you would have seen us about 6 miles later you would have thought someone had run us over with a truck.

 We are smiling, but don't let that fool you... We were in writhing pain.....
 Day 2- 13.4 miles...
The finish line never looked so good.... In saying this we were overwhelmed by the major accomplishment and the determination that had carried us through. It took us 10 hours on Saturday and around 5 on Sunday, but by the Grace of God we completed all 39.2 miles! Although completing the walk was a huge praise, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the amazing woman that God placed in my life and friendship that came out of this journey. After the weekend I felt as if I had gained another sister in her and friendship/ bond that will last a lifetime. It's amazing what you can gain in this life if you push yourself, go out on a limb and trust God's plan. So Sarah here's to you... Thank you for the amazing journey, the laughs and tears and I will forever remember this weekend!

Top Quotes of the weekend:
"Everything hurts, including my ______"
"Well the good thing is I can't feel my legs anymore"
"I'm like a crock pot, I need a 24 hour notice"
"Pump your fists, and kick out your legs... in unison"
"You know your tired, when you don't want to get up from the port-a-potty"
"Your almost there!!!! Hang in there!!!"
"This is the only circumstance where it is acceptable for a total stranger to ask you "are you peeing?"


No comments:

Post a Comment